WordPress 2.6 “Tyner” is now available… read here. I’ve had nothing but goodness from the betas and release candidate, so great job to those who worked on this release!!
Here’s a quick look at the changes between v2.5 and 2.6:
- Word count! Never guess how many words are in your post anymore.
- Image captions, so you can add sweet captions like Political Ticker does under your images.
- Bulk management of plugins.
- A completely revamped image control to allow for easier inserting, floating, and resizing. It’s now fully integrated with the WYSIWYG.
- Drag-and-drop reordering of Galleries.
- Plugin update notification bubble.
- Customizable default avatars.
- You can now upload media when in full-screen mode.
- Remote publishing via XML-RPC and APP is now secure (off) by default, but you can turn it on easily through the options screen.
- Full SSL support in the core, and the ability to force SSL for security.
- You can now have many thousands of pages or categories with no interface issues.
- Ability to move your
wp-config file and
wp-content directories to a custom location, for “clean” SVN checkouts.
- Select a range of checkboxes with “shift-click.”
- You can toggle between the Flash uploader and the classic one.
- A number of proactive security enhancements, including cookies and database interactions.
- Stronger better faster versions of TinyMCE, jQuery, and jQuery UI.
- Version 2.6 fixes approximately 194 bugs.
Awesome! I’ve already updated and all looks good!
I’ve just updated my blog to WordPress 2.6 RC1… getting close to final now (according to them, it may be out today, actually)! I missed the update over the weekend, but that’s just as well as my site was being transferred to a new server. Can you see any difference? It’s all shiny and new! Anyway, for those wanting details on the new WordPress, check it:
WordPress 2.6 Release Candidate 1 is now available. We think this is ready for release on Monday. Try out RC1 and tell us if you agree. New since Beta 3:
- Media uploader and gallery improvements
- Image caption and image editing fixes
- Press This fixes
- Ability to toggle between the flash uploader and a regular browser uploader
- Notification bubble on the Plugins menu when plugin updates are available
See the full list of changes since Beta 3.
The other updates to the site is my addition of a plugin to show my current Twitter posts (see it on the sidebar). I may tweak the design somewhat to make it look better, but it’s okay for now.
That’s it regarding my site for today… I know I haven’t been updating it as much as I’d like, but I’ve been busy lately. You can always check my Swurl account for other things I’ve been up to on the web!
I just upgraded to WordPress 2.6 Beta 2 yesterday, apparently just hours before Beta 3 was released. Go me, apparently! Welp, I’ve just upgraded (again) and am now running Beta 3.
If you wish to download this release, go snag it here:
WordPress 2.6 Beta 3
WordPress 2.6 Beta 2 came out while I was on vacation, so I just now have upgraded. There is a huge amount of fixes (and luckily the inserting of images is one!) so if you’re still on Beta 1, now’s the time to upgrade!
That’s about it for now… oh! Go play with Twitter. It’s quite fun!
WordPress 2.6 Beta 1 is out and I’ve upgraded the blog to the new version. There are some pretty cool additions (like Post Revisioning) and so far seems pretty stable!
Check it out here: WordPress 2.6 Beta 1
A “Press This” bookmarklet for tumblelog style quick posting
Caching of static files with Gears for faster Admin page loads
A new and improved image editing dialog that offers lots of control over the images in your posts
Theme previewing as seen on WordPress.com
Built-in word counting in the post editor
The ability to disable remote publishing for the security conscious
XML-RPC API for changing blog options
Better SSL support for the Admin
Hierarchy-aware paging in the Manage Pages and Manage Categories admin pages.
The ability to relocate your content directory
The ability to move wp-config.php out of your web root
Drag-and-drop sortable galleries
Customizable default avatars
Bulk delete, activate, and deactivate for plugins
Check box range selection with shift-click
TinyMCE 220.127.116.11 with lots of bug fixes
jQuery 1.2.6 with some nice performance improvements
jQuery UI 1.5
Lots of bug fixes and performance improvements